Brexit advice

Fife Council has no control over Government policy surrounding BREXIT. However, we will do our best to make sure EU citizens living in Fife are aware of decisions and arrangements that may affect them, as well as advice and support resources.

See all the Government information about EU exit at - where you can sign up for updates.

 On this page:


Settled and pre-settled status for EU citizens and their families

If you’re a European Union (EU) citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status. This will mean you can continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020. This scheme will open fully by March 2019.

You will not need to apply if:

  • you’re an Irish citizen
  • you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK
  • you have indefinite leave to enter the UK

Your family members from outside the UK and Ireland will still need to apply even if you do not need to.

On 21 January, the Government announced that there will be no fee when the scheme opens fully on 30 March 2019. Anyone who has applied already, or who applies now and pays a fee during the test phases, will be refunded. Details of the refunds process will be published on the .Gov website

Read more about the scheme at

Confirmation of Identity

To make an application to the EU Settlement Scheme, you need to confirm your identity:

  • If you have an Android device this can be done through the app ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’.
  • If you do not have an Android device you can make an appointment to have your ID document scanned and verified for you:
  • Registrars Office
    The Quadrangle
    City Chambers
    253 High Street
    EH1 1YP


Help to complete the application online

You can get Assisted Digital support to use the EU Settlement Scheme online application form if you’re in the UK and do not have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to complete the form.  Read more about the Assisted Digital service on Gov.UK website.

Contact ‘We Are Digital’ if you need this support and they will make an appointment for you:

  • Telephone – 03333 445 675 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
  • Text message – text the word VISA to 07537416944

In Fife the Assisted Digital Support locations are:


Further Questions

If you have any questions phone the EU Settlement Resolution Centre on 0300 123 7379. The centre is open from Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm, excluding public holidays, and on Saturday and Sunday between 9.30am and 4.30pm.


Pensions & benefits

What will happen to EU citizen’s occupational pensions after Brexit?

There is nothing in UK pensions legislation which prevents occupational pension schemes from making pension payments overseas. We do not expect that this will change as a result of the UK’s exit from the EU.

If your pension is paid into a UK bank account, your bank should contact you if they expect any changes as a result of the UK’s exit from the EU. If you are unsure whether you have an occupation pension or personal pension, you should contact your provider to check.

See UK Government guidance: "EU citizens in the UK: benefits and pensions in a ‘no deal’ scenario"


Where to find more information and support


Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.